June 13, 2016

Life Lately

Hello! I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend! I didn't manage to get more than one post up last week (oops) but it's actually for good reason! Instead of being inundated with work (I mean, I was but I'm finally starting to balance work and life a lot better!), I've been taking time for myself, spending a lot of time outside and with friends.

I've also kicked off what I can already tell will be an amazing summer, so let's back up to last weekend and I'll fill you in!

My little sister, Sammi flew in from Dallas late last Thursday night and we had an amazing weekend! She had only been to DC for our wedding so I took the weekend to show her all over the city!

Our first stop on Friday morning was a trip to Ted's Bulletin for breakfast and their homemade pop tarts! Next, we went to the National Zoo to pay a visit to Bei Bei, the baby panda born last year! Oh my goodness! Bei Bei and his mom were out playing and we watched them for almost an hour! It was so sweet! I love the National Zoo because the animals are always so active!

While we were at the zoo, it started pouring! We hopped on the metro and made our way to the Mall to stop at the Natural History Museum. They have a new exhibit with National Geographic on photographs of nature and it was incredible!

We left the museum and headed home to walk Peyton before making our way back to Eastern Market for Happy hour at Ambar. Ambar is easily my favorite restaurant in DC. They have an incredible brunch, amazing Happy Hour, and Balkan food that makes me feel like I'm in Bosnia again. We ate to our heart's content before making our way to the H Street Country Club for some fun and then called it a night.

Saturday, we went to brunch at Old Ebbitt, had some fun at the Renwick Gallery, spent the day shopping in Georgetown, paid a visit to Mr. Lincoln, and went home and devoured 2 pints of ice cream.

Sammi left on Sunday morning with a promise to come back soon! I love that she fell in love with DC and can't wait for her to come back!

This past week was the calm before the storm of 6 deadlines at work this week but I celebrated Negroni Week with my friend Alicia, went on a lot of long walks, and spent 2 glorious days working from my backyard with Peyton at my feet soaking up the sun.

The Pilot left on Thursday for a 4-day trip with a DC overnight on Friday which meant that he would be home. Best part? My big sister, Zuzy called me on Thursday to say she was flying in for a short weekend for work and asked if I had plans Friday night. The Pilot landed at 2 and I finished up work and we biked downtown to pick up my sis. We made a stop for appetizers and drinks at Oyamel, walked all the way down to the Jefferson Memorial along the most beautiful DC sunset I've ever seen, and had a night cap at Old Ebbitt before taking her back to her hotel and biking back home.

Sunday morning we were up bright and early to take Peyton to her dog sitter. The Pilot had to resume his trip with a flight to Charlotte which I decided to tag along for! He had a Des Moines overnight on Saturday and when he got his schedule, I reached out to some friends in Des Moines to see if they were in town. We landed in Charlotte, had a 2-hour layover  (I could've taken a later flight but I really wanted to be on his flight!) and then he took off to Raleigh and I headed to Des Moines!

My friend Laura picked me up from the airport and took me to her house where I helped her get ready for her little one's 1st birthday! I spent the afternoon with them and The Pilot got there around 9. We stayed out catching up with our friends until around midnight and then headed back to our hotel for some shuteye. 

Sunday morning, we met our friends for breakfast and then went to a local coffee shop to meet up with a DC friend of ours who's interning in Des Moines for the summer! Our flights were supposed to take off around 4 and they were delayed by a few hours so The Pilot and I headed out for a 3.5 mile run around the airport. It was about 100 degrees but I actually felt pretty good! It wasn't the long run I was supposed to get in but at least I still got some miles in...especially since I didn't think I'd get any!

Our flights kept getting delayed and delayed and delayed. One point, I realized that my connecting flight wasn't going to get me to DC on time so I changed course and made my way to Chicago. The Pilot was headed there too but I jumped on a different flight in hopes of catching a 10pm flight to DC. 

After realizing that my chances of getting on that flight were slim, I made way over to the Pilot's last flight of the weekend and headed to Dayton, OH where we spent the night. 3 very short hours and 45 even shorter minutes after checking into the hotel, we were up bright and early to make our way home to DC.

I'm going to be a zombie the week but it was so worth it! I hadn't been to Des Moines since my friends got married and it was great to meet their little ones and meet up with our friend from DC. I definitely got a glimpse of the Pilot's life this week with 5 flights in 48 hours and a 25 hour overnight but it was well worth it to spend time with friends and not have to talk to my husband on the phone for once! Plus, going on another overnight with him was on my 30 Before 30 list! I hadn't done this since before we moved to DC!

So that's what's been going on with me lately.
 What's going on in your world? What's the most whirlwind weekend you've ever had? 
Do you have a record number of flights taken in a minimal amount of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...