April 18, 2016

5 Days in San Francisco

A short week on the West Coast was just what I needed to give myself a reset after a miserable winter in DC and a spring that seemed like it was never going to come. 

The best part was coming home to warm DC weather, long walks with Peyton, and spending the afternoon soaking up the sun.

Let's talk about San Francisco though.

I left after work on Monday and landed around 11:30pm. My brother-in-law picked me up from the airport and took me to his and my sister's place where I promptly crashed before being woken up what felt like 5 minutes later by my nephew who wanted me to have breakfast with him before school. 

Tuesday morning, after dropping him off at school, my sister and I headed into San Francisco. She had to go to work and I was spending the next few days with my friend Stephanie. I picked her keys up from her at her office and headed to her place. I was working remotely while I was in San Francisco so I found a coffee shop near Steph's place in the Marina to get some work done. 

The Pilot got to San Francisco just as I was finishing things up for the day. We met Steph by her office on Embarcadero and hopped on the BART to make our way to Oakland for the A's game! I've been to San Francisco half a dozen times and the A's have never been in town until this week so that was exciting!  

On Wednesday, The Pilot and I headed out for a run. Later that night, I told Steph that I thought we had run up the three steepest hills in San Francisco. I waited for her to tell me that everyone says that but instead, she asked which three streets we ran up, and when I told her, she confirmed that yes, we did run up the three steepest hills in the city. Seriously, my legs are still sore! Yikes!

Do you SEE those hills? We ran up Lombard Street (the 'crookedest' street in the world) and this other street that I'm practically flying off of!
On our run, we saw all of the touristy things at rapid speed...or at least, as quickly as we could after running up those monster hills...Ghiradelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, and Pier 39. We headed back to the Marina and had a late lunch on Union Street in the Marina before grabbing ice cream sundaes at Ghiradelli and heading back to Steph's to get ready to head to the festival!

The Tiburon Film Festival had started the week before but my sister's film was premiering on Wednesday. Before the film, my sister invited the sold out crowd to a pre-party at a bar in Tiburon. I don't think Tiburon was prepared for an influx of loud Latinos but we had a blast.

I hadn't seen my sister's film before the festival and I absolutely loved it. It exceeded all of my expectations and I felt so proud and inspired by her!

We stayed out way too late celebrating after the film and I woke up way too early on Thursday morning to take a conference call that I didn't actually have! The Pilot and I spent the day in Golden Gate Park, seeing the Oscar de la Renta exhibit at the De Young, and wandering around the park. 

We met up with Megan for a phenomenal lunch at a Oaxacan restaurant nearby! Megan and I have been blog friends since I started my blog and it was so great to meet her in person! 

After lunch, we made our way back through the park and out to Haight Ashbury. We wandered down Haight Street all the way down to Steiner to see the Painted Ladies. After that, it was time to head back to Steph's and make our way to Fairfax (a SF suburb) to meet up with my brother-in-law and nephew for pizza and ice cream. My sister was at the Festival and we all met up at her place afterward for a long night of catching up. 

The Pilot and I stayed at my sister's on Thursday and we woke up, had breakfast with my nephew and then spent the day having lunch, eating ice cream, and playing baseball. The Festival's closing party was that night so we got all dolled up and headed to the party. We spent the night hanging out, talking to other filmmakers, and enjoying the beautiful night before heading to dinner with about a dozen people. We stayed out late into the night and on Saturday morning, The Pilot and I got up, packed our bags, and headed back to DC. 

It was a wonderfully long week and it was so great to spend time with my sister. I'm glad that spring has finally gotten itself together and arrived in DC and looking forward to a busy week of playing catch up!

How was your week?
Have you been to San Francisco?
What are your favorite things to do there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...